Friday 6 May 2011

Not that Good a Friday

Friday 22nd April - Hull FC 36 Hull KR 18
Saturday 23rd April - Welbeck Welfare (home) Match postponed
Monday 25th April - Whatton United (home) Match postponed

Now, where's my "father's gun"?
There aren't many things that can put the mockers on a scorching Easter weekend.  But I think I just about managed to find all of them.
First, at the end of a week in which Hull Kingston Rovers were again made to look rather silly for events going on off the field, they proceeded to be given something of a spanking in the "only true derby" in Super League.
Then, having found some sort of solace in the beer garden of the local Neptune Inn, courtesy of good company and a rather nice pint (or several) of Tetley Cask, I returned home to find out via email that neither of the weekend's scheduled opponents would now be bothering to make the trip up to the Humber Riviera.  
And to cap it all, on flicking to the BBC Sport cricket pages in order to check on just how long it had taken the Tykes to polish off champions Notts at Headingley, I was confronted by the news that they'd somehow managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
It was all so dispiriting that it's taken me all this time to type just these introductory paragraphs.  
They might be all you ever get to read on the subject.  Instead I'd like to direct you to this, one of the most intelligent football-related pieces I've read all year.  
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to find a cat to kick...

No comments: