Friday, 20 May 2011

Brilliant Orange

Saturday 14th May - Yorkshire Main (away) Lost 1-3
Yorkshire Main are crowned champions

An impressive haul...and that's before we came to town! (Thanks Rob)
We went to Edlington Lane knowing that our hosts required just three more points to add the CML Premier Division trophy to the trio of Floodlit Cup, CML Challenge Cup and Doncaster FA Cup already won.  We were determined to stop them from doing so.  We failed...but not without a fight.
The game itself encapsulated our season.  In taking the lead and indeed in much of the spirit shown thoughout the ninety minutes, we again proved that we could compete with the best in the division; in conceding the equaliser we again produced a dreadful lapse of concentration so typical of those which have hampered our campaign; and in some of the late outbursts aimed from the pitch to the dugout we again showed that there's some stern talking to be done in-house over the summer.  Grrrgh!

 More Orangemen on parade
It had been a long wait for the players since their heartening displays over the Bank Holiday weekend.  Welbeck's postponement and the lack of date for the scheduled South Holderness Cup first round tie at Hedon Rangers 'C' had thwarted attempts to kick-on.
For my part some welcome distraction from the on-field frustration was provided by an appearance at the East Riding of Yorkshire Council Sport & Play Recognition Awards at the impressive new Spa in Bridlington.
I was there as one of the shortlisted finalists in the Services to Sport/Play Category and found myself sitting among such luminaries as Nick Barmby, former Olympic judo champion Karen Briggs MBE and former European & Commonwealth Swimming champion Adam Whitehead, our host for the evening.
In the event, despite an impressive video presentation from Neil Rutter (!) I didn't win Chairman of the ERYC, Cllr David Rudd's vote.  The award instead went to a very deserving recipient in Ian Jones, a teacher and volunteer at Bugthorpe Primary School.  But I received a "Highly Commended" certificate and a bloody nice supper of lasagne so all was not lost!
The day after the awards night I was Billingham-bound for a meeting.  It proved an enjoyable day on the road, thanks to a remarkably quiet M62 and A1, along with a fantastic soundtrack of my own making.  The only downer on the day was that I didn't back myself to divert from my clearly marked directions and go take a peek at the grounds of Billingham Synthonia and neighbours Billingham Town; especially so when told how close I was to The Glamal Engineering Stadium...
So near yet so far...
My enjoyment of the week, increased further by a couple of quality ales in Hull's Walters bar as part of worksd social towards the weekend, was brought to a sudden halt by the eleventh hour cancellation of Welbeck's visit on the Saturday.  I immediately consulted with the Committee and a claim for points and expenses was submitted to the League.
So, Yorkshire Main next up and depending on their result at Thorne the following Tuesday, we would go there with our hosts requiring one point or three for the title.  A Thorne win meant our hosts still required one win from two games to ensure Bentley couldn't catch them.  It was time to channel the Welbeck frustration into thwarting the Main party...

To be continued...

PS: Thanks to The 66 POW for kind use of the top photo - not that he knew anything about it of course!

No comments: